View Single Post
Old 28th November 2017, 08:02 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Jim, can you define disposition as opposed, in the context, to attitude ?
I have mirrored one of the examples and have put both in confront. I believe that, if these two sail guards appeared in a book wuth the description that they have been made in the same workshop, readers wouldn't doubt it.
In reiterating my difficulty to check 'rudimentary' pommels with those 'prototypes' classified by Norman, i see no trace of familiarity between Jan-Luc's & my three examples (per post #9 ) and Norman's type 88. And i confess that, discerning that one is a previous or later variant of the other, is something beyond my reach. In any case, i am afraid it takes more than a guess to state with certainty and firmness the age of Jean-Luc's sword judging by its pommel; starting by the timespan of this (so to say) type appearing to encompass a vast universe of hilt/guard variants.

A little jest, akin to blade with a bad temper. Attitude- disposition.
With observations on swords and their elements, sometimes a guess is all that can be reached, and these become more educated with references such as Nick Norman has given us. We never stop learning, and the universe becomes more finite in degree as we continue exploring.
Good points, and taken as noted.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote