View Single Post
Old 5th October 2006, 12:06 AM   #5
Bugeisha

Default great lecture

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for posting that link. I really enjoyed that lecture. Lots of great information. I really got to get my hands on his book, LOL!

You bring up some good points. Now as far as the 1st statement, there is valid points on both sides. Why would it have an edge (double edge at that) when its only use is for thrusting? Good question... I have read a lot of your posts, I know your savy to arms. One thing that remains is the tactics used by the Roman army, and that is discribed by Manoucher very well. This juggernuat of scutum and gladiuses, if you will, is highly effective but requires mass amount of teamwork. Teamwork, I beleive, was the key to Roman success. If you have a gap from someone trying to do their own thing, i.e. slashing, it would cause an opening in your line of defense. It seems very probable to me that the Romans were taught to fight a certain way for tactical reasons. Even to this day martial arts are taught in a specific way, i.e. stike this way, not like that. If you were in the front line, shoulder to shoulder, shield to shield, would you want the infantry guys on both sides of you swinging their swords? I know I wouldn't, lol. Thinking in that light, its very easy to beleive that Roman soldiers were forbidden from trying to slash the opponent. On the flip side of the coin, an induvidual fight could not be fought the same as a large scale battle. Altough, I do believe underlining priciples would be the same. Manoucher said something in the lecture that I believe would have value now. In Kenjutsu you are taught to block or parry with the side or the back of blade, never the edge of the sword. Its forbidden in most ryuha. I also learned from Toby Threadgill if something happens and it comes down to a choice of getting cut or blocking with the edge of the sword. Block with the edge, at least you will live.
I feel the same way about the Gladius. Its a thrusting weapon intended to do so, but if all hell breaks loose, survive. Would I say that the gladius was only a thrusting weapon? No, but I think thats what made it famous.

As far as the question about wristbreakers. When I watched the lecture, Manoucher said that the motion of trying to stab a hard target from horse back caused "a wristbreaking motion". He didn't call them "wristbreakers". The audio from the website wasn't that great, though.

As far as the bronze challenge to the guys at MIT. I don't know too much about bronze or casting, but from my impression it sounded like Manoucher was referring to the casting processes. I'm really not too sure about this one.

Thanks for the thread!
Jahun