View Single Post
Old 17th January 2023, 04:54 AM   #1
Sheepdoc

Question Help! Is this Philippine, Maori, Moro, Sundang, Barong

I bought this at a small estate auction from an Air Force veteran who obviously travelled through out the South Pacific and Asia judging from the other items. I know very little about blades as my expertise is in other areas such as firearms and accoutrements. This blade has some interesting carving and I am looking for any help in classifying it and trying to find a place of origin. It obviously has some repairs with copper wire and the leather wrap, but this looks like a decent craftsman made this originally. The incised carved sheath, the ornate handle and pommel, and the braided twine holding the two piece sheath together are out of the ordinary to me. I think the braided twine is possibly hair, but probably some sort of natural fiber. The circular designs on the pommel remind me of a Maori mask. Also if anyone can put a date on this-post WW II or before, or even 19th century. The blade is about 18.5 inches in length with a tapered blade and single cutting surface. There is a Roman numeral V on the hilt which is confusing. There appears to be tape residue on the handle.
Attached Images

Sheepdoc is offline   Reply With Quote