View Single Post
Old 13th May 2013, 05:18 AM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Great detail thanks Timo.

These bronze age pole arms, I had never personally ventured down the rabbit warren of obtaining any due to the lack of provenanced examples in the market place but the article puts a lot of perspective on arms from that period....a months of week ends will be needed to be put aside for me to digest this excellent presentation, thank you.

All pole arms and sockets of heads that have gone through my hands, from the Qing Dynasty, have all thus far, been more round than oval with the exception of one that is round but has a slight medial ridge, much like Malacca cane but it is the manner in which it is hand formed that leaves this effect and the position of the small ridge is not placed in a manner that makes it any easier to hold.
My Tiger fork is round from the socket, partially down to an octagonal half....My spear however is round at the butt and tapers to an oval form, but this is because it is on a natural forming piece of timber, no doubt a sapling cut for the purpose.
The Monk's spade is attached to a perfectly round half.

But for swords, there is much variation in my collections, round, oval and rectangular all serve well in form and function, some hilts have an element of two types.

Thanks

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote