View Single Post
Old 24th November 2006, 04:41 PM   #191
Gt Obach

Hi

Metallographic examination of two damascene steel blades... by Jerzy Piaskowski... 1978

no mention of Martensite but sorbitic matrix...

SORBITE:

Structure of steel, resulting from the tempering of martensite. In a truly sorbitic structure, the cementite is completely dispersed in the matrix. The trend is to call this structure tempered martensite.

this can be confusing... because i don't know if people still use that term sorbite... .. i know the bladesmiths all call it tempered martensite..

Look on pg 9 in the " discussions "
-- the structure of both blades is very uniform along the whole of the cross-section. The measurements of hardness showed identical values for each of the swords which, in turn, points to the fact that the blades were subjected to quenching and tempering, according to the descriptions by J. Barker and Massalski, who travelled in the Near East.

so... .. I was wrong...... as their is some evidence.....

thank you...

Greg

another quote from the study..

" strips of carbides are visible to the naked eye on the blades surfaces and appear in the form of light coloured bands typical of the damascus pattern, whereas the dark background of this pattern forms a sorbitic matrix "

Last edited by Gt Obach; 24th November 2006 at 05:25 PM.
Gt Obach is offline   Reply With Quote