View Single Post
Old 15th August 2011, 06:22 AM   #14
KuKulzA28

I think you use it similarly to any type of long blade that has a backwards curve. The way the latok bends back is similar to how sabers and parangs tend to curve backwards, making a saber cut or a draw cut (or whatever) much easier to do. As the blade comes down, the geometry of it makes it easy to slide the blade edge at the same time. Thus proper form makes for a strike that has the percussion and momentum of the chop, and the sliding-through affect of the slice. Makes for a really wicked slash/cut. However, it is interesting that the Parang Latok seems so crudely built for this purpose, rather than curving to help achieve an excellent slicing geometry, it is simply bent back - like the Parang Pendat. It must be a little awkward to chop at something low to the ground (unless you adapt your posture and handling to the unique character of the Latok)...

Maybe it is also safer in some ways because of the longer blunt area just beyond the handle offers more room for your hand when doing precision chopping and the bend makes it harder for your hand to slip right onto the blade (unlike many other machetes and parangs). Also, because of the bend back, maybe it is also safer because it is harder to chop your own leg! You have no idea, I've had at least 3 or 4 close calls when out in the forest with a parang, golok, or machete and ALMOST chopping into my leg. Using such efficient tools/weapons is an exercise in focus.

They still use this style today... I saw these pictures on a website (not sure if I am allowed to link to it... ?) But yeah, the website/owner gets the credit. Just google "bidayuh cutting tools in semban" and you'll find the website.
Attached Images

KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote