Thread: Draw Cut?
View Single Post
Old 16th March 2012, 02:24 PM   #9
KuKulzA28

What is a conventional slash?

A Hack is a short, powerful cut? A chop is a short percussive strike that returns along the same line? A slash is a full bodied sweeping strike? I don't know... All very unscientific ways of describing the strikes. Draw cut is a weird term. I have seen it meaning to cut from the draw, but also to cut by drawing across. The latter I have also seen as a saber-cut.

Essentially here's 2 ways to see a strike.... you can use percussive force to break something. When you have an edge the force is concentrated in a very small area, making the break easier. OR you can slice, where the blade meets the object on a very small portion of its edge, but the contacting edge constantly replaces itself as it "slides" through the material. To make it go deeper some techniques have the back hand or forearm on the back of the blade literally pushing it deeper in.

Now combine the percussion with the slice. Hitting with force but drawing back a.k.a. making it slice while you hack... the result is VERY effective. People who regularly use goloks, parangs, machetes, etc. learn that this is the most efficient way to cut when cutting down vegetation or making a trail. And as you can see most blades suited for this type of cut are sabers - swords with some heft for percussion but curved to be ideal for the slice and to have the edge area.

The best way to figure this out is get off the chair/couch and do it! Get a sword or machete and some tatami mats, saplings, thick bamboo (anything easily cut-able but not too forgiving) and go at it. Be careful since the draw cut or saber cut is seemingly effortless in the way is slides through material. Always know where the blade will end up before you cut through. If you use percussive force to get through it you'll know by the strength you use. If you slice, well, you're only going to slide through so much of it. And keep the blade sharp. A dull blade is only ok at percussive force, the slicing capability is now gone. Remember, use your body, arm, and hand in one fluid motion - for effortless power. Body alignment. Have fun!
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote