View Single Post
Old 11th March 2021, 11:32 AM   #1
Kmaddock

Default Bifurcated serrated Tulwar repair

Hi
I finished some work on the attached sword.
it is of a type that has been discussed before

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...errated+tulwar

Looking at the handle and the overall sword it is pretty devoid of any decoration.

Now the sword cane to me with a lot of damage, namely the forward facing arm of the bifurcated blade was snapped at the central hole off and lost by previous owner.

I fashioned a 20 cm replacement blade part replacement from an old sword blade that was v v rusted and pitted and ground in the serrations and welded it into (place oxo acetylene)

I should have taken pictures of the process but I taught I was documenting a failure so I have no pictures of before.

I have included a close up of the failure point, I was not able to get the serrated teeth just right here but I don't think it is too noticeable, if I ever get a TIG welder I reckon I could do a better job but I am OK at Gas welding.

I am letting the red rust age the repair and once i think it is a good match I will clean and stabilise.

I know this is pushing the restoration and repair of ethnographic items so apologies , I just needed a project for Covid and this kept me occupied for a few evenings, without the repair it was just a nothing sword anyway ( I feel)

Now this is obvious a failure in design of a weapon as it is manufacturing a v v weak part into the blade which leads me to summarise that it is not a fighting sword and only for show. But the handle is so non decorative it does not look to be a show item.

So do you think this is a decorative sword or a fighting item with a big flaw in design. Any idea of age?
Regards,
Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote