View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2007, 04:54 AM   #9
Alam Shah

Let me put it in simpler terms...

My understanding are as follows:

- Majapahit, is not the earliest kingdom with keris... (most of us know this, I presume).

- When one refers to Majapahit keris, first think that comes to mind are standard size kerisses and not 'sajen' types.

- Malay beliefs are different from Javanese beliefs... although in some cases there are similarities. To cover the various belief systems would require a deep understanding of these cultures/races... long ago till current,... which I do not possess... I only know a little on the cultures/races that I'm interested in.

The book "The Keris and Other Malay Weapons" is a compilation of facts, popular beliefs, folklore and other misc items which were not widely researched, at that time. Although the (1996) is reprint 16, it was made if was done without reviewing the data contained in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. Maisey
Throughout history the keris has been different things to different people. Different groups of people have had different beliefs, and different names for the keris, and its parts.
This, I'm well-aware of. It had been repeated plenty of times, which I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. Maisey
As far as getting lost along the way, I personally think we are all pretty much wandering like blind men in the wilderness. Occasionally one may stumble across something that is perhaps more or less true in some given context, but for the most part the true essence of the keris is possibly lost beyond recall.
I guess putting up this thread is quite meaning-less, then...
Perhaps I've used the wrong term, 'errors'. I'm no longer interested to discuss about the 'error' or 'misleading' any further. However, Pak Ganja, please continue to input more info...
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote