View Single Post
Old 26th June 2020, 12:29 PM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Gavin,

Thanks for the reference to the Minangkabau in v. Zonneveld.

With regard to the klewang he shows, the two I referred to have straight cutting edges and upturned hilts (which I suspect is the same as Charle's example). I have owned a couple of these and that is how the edge and hilt were oriented on both of them. Also, if you look at the pics I showed from v. Zonneveld's book, the upper and middle set of three all have their edges on the right hand side of the photograph, but the bottom two have their edges on the left.

As far as the split back of the scabbard, I think this has become more common on contemporary Indonesian scabbards. I do think the scabbard was more recently made than the knife.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I beg to differ. Those pictured, 265, 267, the cutting is on the inside curve.

All those I've owned and sold of that particular type from Betel nut size to sword size and those still with me, this is the case too, the edge is on the inner curve.
Of all those pictured, these two, 265 & 267 are the exception where blade orientation is concerned.

Charles should be able to chime in on these two in the book, he's owned and sold the type too. I recall one he sold from the 4th April 2018.
Seek out one of my past sold listings, Sold item s1504. I don't believe I can provide my own links here

Gavin

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote