View Single Post
Old 29th July 2005, 02:16 AM   #5
kai

Thumbs up

Hi Jens, Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Do you know if the blade has a tang?
No idea. The blade is tightly secured by those 3 rivets. However, I played with the idea to clean up the hilt by electrolytic rust removal and would have to remove the blade for this.

Quote:
The blade seems to be rather short, do you think it can have been broken close to the hilt?
Wouldn't the ricasso suggest an intact blade? IMVHO it would need some major reforging effort to come up with a new ricasso as well as the shape of the blade...

Possibly a boy's blade? I know it's the usual disingenous ad hoc assumption but the grip is also a bit on the small side.

Quote:
You write that you got it from the Hyderabad region. Do you mean Hyderabad in Sind or in Deccan?
Deccan

Quote:
Somewhere in one of my books I think I have a picture of a blade like yours, I will have to have a look.
I would appreciate that very much! Take your time though.

Quote:
The bird on the hilt could be a parrot, but it could also be a hawk or a falcon, it is hard to say, but it is true that they often used a parrot.
I just defaulted on a parrot since that seems to be mentioned much more often than other birds. I'll have a close look again.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote