View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:35 PM   #217
Timo Nieminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
These have just arrived. To be frank, when I bid on them I neither expected nor particularly wanted to get them. It was an experiment to see what would be accepted as a bid from the UK, ...and I won,... and they are here. So what have I got? Coming from China........they are slightly different from the posted vendors photo, one of them has a tang 27 cm 10.5 ins long but otherwise just as described and shown, width from barb to barb 5 cm on one and just under that on the other.
Modern, and an attempt at a replica of bronze Chinese arrowheads, Shang, Zhou, through to Warring States style. Most Chinese heads had relatively short tangs, but long tangs were used too. Also socketed heads, especially in Qin and Han. After that, iron/steel heads rather than bronze.

"Attempt" I say, since these are huge compared to the usual long-tanged Chinese bronze arrowheads. And very fat, too. The long 25cm or so ones are usually thinner, with much smaller blades. So, these look like the maker got the size very wrong. Perhaps these should be about 10-12 cm long?

I don't recognise what particular heads these are meant to be copies of, so can't check what the original size was.

These are usually brass, rather than bronze like the originals. The quality of the modern copies (not just of arrowheads, but spears, axes, swords, ge) varies a lot. Some are quite nice.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote