View Single Post
Old 20th February 2008, 05:18 AM   #46
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
This is a S-hilt. I would love to here what the most current theory on the significance of the S. (Stirling?, Stuart? simple protection?).
Hi Jeff,
Trying to discover more on the 'S' element in hilt construction, and in checking Whitelaw, Plate III, #2 is remarkably similar to your hilt on this one. It is captioned that this sword was signed by John Allan Sr. who worked in Doune, c.1714.(p.283). This is of course a Stirling hilt.

It is interesting that these S shaped elements appear to mirror each other, with the opposite one being of course reversed. It would seem that if this was intended to be a symbolic letter, it would have been correctly positioned on either side. Interestly in another source, I found a Glasgow hilt also using the S elements. The earlier ribbon hilt forms also carried these S shapes though in the much heavier strips.

In "Scottish Swords and Dirks" by John Wallace (1970, #24) the author notes regarding the S, "...people have considered this to have a Jacobite connection (i.e. S for Stuart). Alternatively it is S for Stirling. Both theories are unlikely however".

This is yet another of the mysteries of these swords, which includes the pierced shapes in the saltire plates, the concentric circles, zig zags and other designs and motif on the hilts. While it would seem that the sources I have noted seem to suggest these 'S's are simply structural connecting elements, it would be interesting to hear of other notes or comments on them.

Really is a beauty Jeff!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote