View Single Post
Old 8th March 2020, 05:49 PM   #9
rickystl

Hello again

The sling rings would be mounted on the left side of the gun so that it can be carried on the person's back with the lock positioned outward. This allowed the weight of the gun to be distributed across the entire torso of the body versus just one shoulder. Similar to a sword baldric. Interesting that European French (and other) muskets also mounted their sling rings on the side till about 1740. But muskets manufactured in the Ottoman/Balkan regions continued the side mount practice throughout their life time.

The difference in color of that portion of the stock could be from a period stock repair as Stu suggests. But there should be at least some small evidence of a repair. What it looks like to me is that when the gun was originally built it had another brass/metal sheath wrapped over the stock in this area. Similar to the metal sheathing near the muzzle end. That would account for the dis-coloration in that area.

I somewhat misspoke on my post above. While the lock on Gusko's musket, and my photos above do represent one of the most widely utilized miquelet locks on Balkan made guns, the most common lock I see on Boyliya muskets is different. Often called a Bulgarian lock by collectors. It's a bit more unusual looking miquelet lock. But it shows up on virtually every Boyliya musket I've seen.

Of course, these guns were individually made, often to a customer's personal specifications. And sometimes decorated with a mix of cultures. And Qusko's musket is a good example of this mix. A very interesting piece.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote