View Single Post
Old 9th March 2018, 09:34 PM   #11
Treeslicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
I've read somewhere that the chinese copied the european style Kyū guntō cavalry sabres of the japanese so well that the chinese copies are better made, and of better steel, and that the chinese copies are actually worth more than the japanse ones they were based on. they have slight differences, one being the chinese did not use a japanese crysanthemum flower decoration.

The originally posted shin guntō ersatz tachi is not of this caliber.
Please understand that I am addressing Chinese fake relics only, not modern nihonto replicas forged in China, many of the latter blades being nearly indistinguishable from modern Japanese shinken (the koshirae usually are another story, alas).

Chinese fake war relic swords, of whatever style, have no collectible value of which I am aware.

I've got a couple of Chinese fake WW II katana that I do Toyama-ryu with, with decorated, non-regulation "gunto" koshirae that are unquestionably better made than most regulation IJA contract swords, and 2 almost authentic tachi (folded and laminated carbon steel in almost indestructible rustproof copper alloy koshirae) I got for medieval reenactment. All 4 were being offered under false pretenses, but directly from China, at a very low price.

These Chinese "relic" swords, if you fully understand what you are buying, can be a rational choice for some uses. When well made, they are attractive, cut well, and withstand abuse. They make excellent victims to learn sword-polishing on. However, they are falsely marketed, and the Chinese, for whatever reason, have consistently failed to make them look like their Japanese models, generally by adding decorative features absent from the originals. and/or using boldly-etched pattern-welded steel that, while beautiful on its own, is inauthentic. The result is a usable and often attractive sword which repels knowledgeable collectors. Note also, in case I should post photos, that the tsuka same and ito wraps on mine were added to the outside of wrapless metal tsuka after I got them, to make them both better looking, and safer to use.

Last edited by Treeslicer; 10th March 2018 at 01:29 AM.
Treeslicer is offline   Reply With Quote