View Single Post
Old 9th March 2018, 08:36 PM   #10
asomotif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Kubur,

you are very correct! But I am special angry to the so called "experts" from catawiki as they have sold very recent art work keris of low quality for extremely high prices maybe because the "experts" say ok for a high price and let pass a description of antique/19th century for recent Madura keris "art". On the other hand an other expert valued an antique high end salawaku from my collection by only 200 Euro!

Regards,
Detlef
Hello Detlef,

Catawiki does not sell, they offer the auction website.
It is the ignorant buyer who is willing to buy these keris at relatively high prices. I have noticed the same indded with often very simple javanese keris being sold for high prices.

I started this thread firstly to warn for chinese katana's being still offered as WW2 shin gunto on auction websites, and partially because I am also suprised about the sometimes strange auctions at Catawiki.
I have asked Catawiki a few questions regarding items and found that in some cases they refers to the sellers expertise. As probably in this case with the "WW2 "katana.
On the other hand I have heard that they can be very strict about what they accept for their website to be auctioned. as probably with your Salawaku.

I guess it must be impossible for them to have experts that now everything.
But they do have a some well known names and in these cases I have seen auctions where the expert(s) should have known better imho.

Anyway, always use your brain before bidding. Buyer beware.

Best regards,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote