View Single Post
Old 21st March 2019, 06:30 AM   #36
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
We really need to be careful when interpreting history! Even more so if emotions play any role.

Any and every contributor has an agenda (or even several) - be it any historical source or any scientific research. Without scrutinizing all possible agendas and their possible influence on each contribution, we can't even start to evaluate them.

There are quite few historical events (of any wider importance) that have been sufficiently documented as well as studied by a larger number of independant scientists, extensively discussed at an international level, and finally resulting in a widely shared interpretation of that event. In the vast majority of historic events, especially if badly documented, of lesser interest, from periods long ago, we may never be able to ascertain what really happened. period.

A healthy dose of skepticism does help to avoid falling prey of agendas, spurious claims, as well as uncritically believing in "established facts" - not rarely defined by the winning side of history...

Regards,
Kai
Well said Kai, thanks for this. Actually I was just looking for a particular Waray sword in that era, never thought I'd stumble upon a version of history that's not included in local history books. As I delved further, I understood why.

MaharlikaTimawa, I've shared with you three studies for starters
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote