View Single Post
Old 17th February 2019, 04:12 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Victrix thank you again for these great examples and insight!
That Serb-Croatian example is pretty awesome............what a blade!

Good notes on the Hungarians being the driving force in the hussar phenomenon which set the pace for flamboyance in light cavalry throughout Europe. I think studying the pageantry of these units is some of the most colorful and intriguing in military history, and the elements of these sabres are key in much of it.

I know that Wagner made occasional reference to the hilt fashioning in many cases being done by Gypsy artisans, and I tried to find information on some of the symbolic or baroque motifs and styling. It seems that there was more to find on blade markings in these aspects than in the artistry of hilt motifs. It may be that perhaps there were indeed more aesthetic considerations in choices in hilt decoration.

The pearl string effect reminds me in some degree of the so called five ball hilt on English spadroons of the 1780s to early 1800s. These had it seems invariably a group of five balls on a raised line on the counterguard and often incorporated into the knuckleguard. I wanted to discover more on what the possible significance of these beads/balls could be.
While I thought perhaps they represented the number 5, in some cases there were up to 7.
In the same manner, I wondered on the string of pearl theme, but after most review only subjective theorizing could present ideas, and the aesthetic explanation the most reasonable conclusion.

Even aesthetically, it is fascinating to see the pearled or beaded motif theme as its influence traveled through the hussar units and even into others.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote