View Single Post
Old 15th February 2019, 06:25 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Hungarian Hussar sabres and Esterhazy

I am interested in finding out more on Hungarian (Austro-Hungarian) hussar sabres of the mid 18th century, and in particular a for which is shown in E. Wagner's "Cut and Thrust Weapons", Prague, 1967, pl. 36) as from Paul Esterhazy's regiment of hussars during the War of Austrian Succession 1741-48).
These sabres have a distinct affectation in the faux pearl decoration along the knuckle guard, which seems to have become a repeated style in some degree later.

Prince Paul Esterhazy of Galantha (1711-62)was of the noble Habsburg line and formed his hussar regiment in support of Maria Theresa. This was of course concurrent with the famed Baron von Trenck 'Pandour' units of the time.

My question is...……..these Hungarian sabres seem to follow the general convention of flat pommel caps as well as the elongated rectangle langets.

It seems a variant type existed which had a domed pommel as well as elliptical langets yet had the noted 'pearled' knuckleguard. The domed pommel and elliptical langets are notably French, as well as the wire wrapped grips......suggesting of course French origin. It is known the French did adopt the pearled them in some degree as well.

Has anyone seen known HUNGARIAN/AUSTRIAN sabres with DOMED POMMEL? ELLIPICAL langets?

I have checked of course Wagner and Konopisky& Moudry (1991) without success.

If anyone out there has the esoteric references on Hungarian swords (Ariel???) please help out.

The attached illustrations are the one from Wagner on the Esterhazy sabre.

The other from Moudry & Konopisky (Edged Weapons of the Habsburg Empire 16th-20th c. ) has one shown as Hungarian hussars 1750s. This was post Esterhazy so it would seem the 'pearled' affectation was still carried on.

Thank you guys!
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th February 2019 at 10:17 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote