View Single Post
Old 21st March 2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I guess it should be remembered that one of the most legendary swords of all was Excalibur as known in French versions of Geoffrey of Monmouths 12th century work "Historia Regum Britanniae", of course with the legend of King Arthur. The Welsh term was Caliburnus (Latinized). It is further very interesting that last year near Monmouth, Wales there was a sword stud excavated, one of the very few finds on this extremely little known part of this history of the Anglo Saxon dark ages in these regions.

Another term for sword in Welsh was caladbolg which seems to have derived or been associated with figures in Irish mythology. The Excalibur legend seems to have counterparts in Norse and other mythology.
In Welsh tradition there was a dagger named Carnwennan as well as spear named Rhongomniad as well as a ceremonial sword of peace named Clarent.
No long bows found yet Fearn !! nor what thier names were. To me one of the most fascinating things is the Welsh language itself, and how completely unique it seems alongside the English language.

Just thought I would add this,
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote