View Single Post
Old 21st May 2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Jan

Hello Fromhold,
although I am way off my usual area of interest (Indonesia, that is) here, I might add a few comments on some of the German inscriptions quoted by wolviex above. Looking up the meanings of some of these inscriptions might be rather hard for a non-native speaker of German due to the old-fashioned spellings and maybe also to a few misreadings of some letters. And I suppose you will also need the meanings of these inscriptions for your project, not just their pure letters.

ALLES WAS DV DVEST…. = "ALLES WAS DU DUEST..."
modernized German: Alles was Du tust...
meaning: Everything you do...

DIE OBRIGKEIT STUERET UNHEIL… = I can´t really make out what "STUERET" is, the other words are basically ok. But sorry, I can´t really translate that one without the missing verb here.

FIRCH GOT VND LIEB…. = "FIRCH(T) GOT(T) UND LIEB..."
mG: Fürchte Gott und lieb...
meaning: Fear God and love...

IVNCKHFRAV LIEB VND LERCHENGESANG… = "IUNCKHFRAU LIEB UND LERCHENGESANG..."
mG: Jungfrau lieb und Lerchengesang...
meaning: Maiden/virgin dear and lark´s song...

Don´t take these as formal transcriptions or translations, just as my two-cents-worth here. If you have any questions regarding other German inscriptions, feel free to ask.
Jan

Oh, btw: The most important word in the Kühm title above "Das Richtsxhwert in Bayern" should probably be "RICHTSCHWERT".
I know, I know, German is a strange language - but not THAT strange (= "..sxh.." is not a usual combination)
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote