View Single Post
Old 19th May 2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Fromhold K.

Default European medieval sword inscriptions

Hello,
I write my bachelor's project on topic "The Meaning and Symbolism of the Sword in Medieval Society" and I would appreciate some help from you.

If anybody knows some other writings from sword (or where I could find some), please post it here or send me an email (ikelder@ut.ee). And if possible, with references, the period of the sword, the type of the sword etc. I am particularly interested in swords from approximately 1150-1500.

Here is what I already have.

Lots of letters and letter combinations (NED, INED (Nomine Domini, In Nomine Domini) etc.). Lots of different signs, drawings, symbols.

Also some texts, but only from most famous swords: Sword of Comté de Dreux, Sword of St. Maurice, executioner's swords (FIAT JUSTICIA; VIM VI PEPELLEPE LICET etc.), and the usual texts (like Gicelien me fecit, Gladius Rotgieri).

I have collected all the texts I found from www.myarmoury.com, www.netsword.com, http://forums.swordforum.com and www.vikingsword.com articles and from Oakeshott's Archaeology of Weapons.

Also, I have some texts from Estonian archeological artifacts, but that is pretty much it. And it's definitely not enough .

Thanks in advance.
Fromhold K. is offline   Reply With Quote