Thread: Bendo
View Single Post
Old 16th January 2007, 11:18 AM   #14
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Paolo, I'm not at all certain that the name for this implement that you have posted pics of is "bendo".

In Javanese the correct spelling of "bendo" is "bendho"---the "o" is slightly aspirated. Bendho is a Javanese word and I do not know if it is found in Sundanese.

The implement you have shown pics of appears to be from Sunda, probably Bandung production.

I know that van Zonneveldt shows it as a "bendo", but he draws upon another source, so we cannot hold him responsible for the name.

It may be that in Sunda this implement is known as a "bendo", but if it is, it must not be confused with the bendho of Central Jawa.

The bendho that we use in Central Jawa is a completely different shape to the shape of the implement that you show.As ferrylaki advises, in Central Jawa these days it is used as a tool, however, in earlier times it was used as a weapon.

As I state above, the Javanese name for a particular type of cutting implement is "bendho". The word "bendo" does not exist in Javanese, however, in Indonesian, which is based upon a dialect of Malay, the word "benda" does exist, which means "thing". In colloquial Javanese speech this word "benda" would be pronounced "bendo" by many, if not most speakers, when they were using Indonesian.

Ferrylaki, I note that you live in Solo. If you would like to see some examples of old bendho, may I suggest you visit Musium Radyapustaka on Jalan Slamet Riyadi, near Sri Wedari.
I'm going to visit the museum next week. during muharam there will be a ceremonial in solo. peoplegonna show pusaka from the old keraton collection. I'll try to get some pictures from old 'bendho' in the museum. may be I'll add more pictures about old javanese weapon also.
thax again....
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote