View Single Post
Old 17th February 2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Amazing grouping of these Arabian swords Ibrahiim !!! Thank you for sharing them.
In observing the groupings, in the first photo, top to bottom:

I would note that these triple fullered sabre blades, particularly with the 'cabalistic' symbols are of an 18th century blade form commonly produced in Solingen, and believed to have been continued well into, if not through the 19th century (Gilkerson). These found considerable favor in regions of the Caucusus where variations of these began to occur in shashkas, and blade producers there copied them and exported many into Arabian trade networks.

The top sabre is known actually (by hilt form) as the Moroccan sa'if, though typically termed incorrectly 'nimcha'. While of course many of these probably did end up in Red Sea trade and as far as Zanzibar, the hilt which has been considered 'Zanzibari' (Buttin, 1933) has similar grip/pommel shape with palm nock at the top, quillon system and distinctively a perpandicular ring extending from crossguard center. This form with the ring seems to have arrived in some volume into the Yemen in the early 20th century from Zanzibar, hence the attribution (also personal contact with Artzi Yarom, Oriental Arms on this). Is does seem likely these 'Moroccan-Algerian' type hilts would be found in Arabia as the hilt form does seem to have originated in the Arabian sphere, likely derived from Italian hilt forms of much earlier (A. North).

The center sabre has an essentially Persian type hilt, but the general design and canted pommel cap in a collectively silvered style seems to reflect Caucasian styles which are typically nielloed and from latter 19th century. The crossguard with bulbous quillon terms reflects European style and of course this is a composite which is to be expected as these swords were so ofren refurbished to remain serviceable.

The bottom sword is not technically a karabella, but does have the stylized version of that type hilt (the term itself is used toward the hilt typically).
This style hilt is of the form usually seen in Hadhremaut in repousse silvered dress, though simpler versions are seen more into the interior regions as seen here.

The 'Ethiopian' blade awaiting the cylindrical hilt is of a triple fuller form which was produced in Solingen around 1880s, and actually resembles the same block forte and hollowed fullers seen on Imperial German swords of that period, though the blades were usually single edged on those examples.
Many of these blades, which seem to have been Weyersberg made, were indeed sent to Abyssinia, and from there many went to Yemen where they had rhino horn hilts removed and silvered hilts added. This seems to have centered in San'aa, one of the main entrepots for the arrival of import blades in this part of Arabia.

All the best,
Jim
Shukran jazilan ya Ustad !
Salaams Jim Once again thank you for your superb supporting research on these Arabian swords. I hope you were able to see the other Solingen blade which I thought said 1708 but which was inverted and actually reads SOLI followed by the very faint letters NGEN
The German blades for the Ethiopian market are indeed strange and we have examined them before... mine is almost the same as the one in the souk except with a Saudi / Mamluke hilt probably fitted up in the Yemen. Muscat has now also been identified (certainly in at least the last two generations) as being a centre for joining blade and hilt of different provenanced swords... especially long hilt Omani to any blade that looks reasonable... and the weld work and tang+pommel add on is there to be seen..and was confirmed as done by that shops workshop.

Your work is a great example ... I learn more from your input that from any library! What is a beacon for research is the way you set out your position with quotes from the best references and real in depth study combined with great common sense and reasoning. I hope it inspires more forum researchers to follow suit.

I wonder what influence there is in the Red Sea regions from the French in Egypt and the use of blades originally copied by them from the Polish Hussars?

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote