View Single Post
Old 9th July 2016, 01:36 AM   #4
kai

Hello Joren,

Quote:
32.5 inches overall with a 24.5 inch blade. Longer than I am used to (apart from some tourist kris I see all over the Philippines).
The blade length would not be exceptional for a later Maguindanao kris like turn of the 19th century till early 20th century.

All 3 pieces seem to have received later Sulu fittings during their working life (with the barung blade being probably the oldest of the lot IMHO); the hilt of this kris seems to be a fairly late replacement though - well after WW2 and more like late 20th century (or possibly recent and artificially aged). I'd be tempted to try replacing it with a more traditional hilt style (make sure to keep the ferrule which seems to be genuine and old while the clamps could need a quality upgrade).

Quote:
I was told the blade is Maguindanao with recent Sulu fittings. Given the inlays that seems to be the case. The fuller is nicely done. Uniform width throughout. The blade is a bit thinner than I'm used to seeing, but overall it feels very well balanced.
Please post a close-up of the base of the blade taken from exactly above (a slight angle as in your pics can distort some features).

Quote:
There just might be a few interesting pieces left in Manila.
For sure; I understand that there are also some serious collectors in your neck of the woods. However, it is certainly way easier to grab some genuine, old Moro pieces in the US (often not "upgraded" or with later repairs/replacements and possibly for better prices, too).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote