View Single Post
Old 14th March 2007, 04:36 AM   #16
Alam Shah

Default The Palembang keris...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
... You can see that the ganja was made in several layers of welded iron. I had real difficulty to weld such a small piece as to maintain the heat for such a small piece is a difficulty that Alan Maisey will certainly explain better than I can do.
Thank you for showing us your pieces. Imho, the general outline of the ganja is ok. The length is a little bit too short but at least it got a replacement. The layering is good. With patination, it should blend well with the blade.

Quote:
You can also see my difficulty in silvering the mendak made in copper !
I love the Hulu that I find very elegant. It has a specific name which I cant recall ! Hulu Jambi or Palembang ?
The Palembang Hulu Topeng (mask) is elegant. I like it too. A good effort with the selut. It's tough fabricating from copper.
Have a look at these. The base of the selut are narrower, preferbly fits nicely like the 1st example. These seluts are normally made of silver or white metal. Ive seen some made of 'suassa', (an alloy mix of gold, copper and sometimes other metals). These are softer materials and easier to work with.
(pictures courtesy of BluErf)
[Palembang Selut example 1], [Palembang Selut example 2]

Quote:
The sampir was in fact recovered and is to my knowlege palembang but the gandar was remade in the closest wood I could find here in Switzerland but it is not too good.
I will make an other message for your the other remarks
Michel
A good effort. The wood looks ok, too. The gandar is rather narrower than usual. See the examples of normal Palembang gandars. It's normally broader and less 'roundish' at the bottom, compared to Javanese gandars (in general).
(pictures courtesy of BluErf)
[Palembang gandar 1], [Palembang gandar 2]

Just some comparisons, for our mutual references.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote