View Single Post
Old 8th August 2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Miguel,
The first katar you show is very worn, and the second one in quite a good condition.
None of us know, which katar has beeen cleaned how many times, so the wear can be a hint, but a recent dealer with a very rusty katar could also be a hint. We can not be quite sure.
I am researching the first katar you show, but have nothing final yet.

As to the development of the katar I have taken it back to the 10th century of Orissa, but this does not mean that it could not be older - that is how far back I got it when I researched. (How Old is the Katar? Royal Armouries Journal, Leeds).
The katar then had a very heavy blade, only one cross bar and no side guards. A diety holds it in one of her hands, but if all katars looked like that at the time is not certain - they might have, or maybe not.

If this really is one of the first katar types, I have no doubt, that they would very soon after have developed a better grip, and side guards for a better protection.
Jens
Hi Jens,
You have probably got this book but Mahgrib to Moghul shows a picture of a two pronged katar with an exact same hilt with four riveted crossbars as mine also Stone also shows an illustration of one with a two pronged blade and what appears to be the same hilt. These are the only two images I have seen of a hilt with four riveted cross bars but in each case neither age or region of origin were stated. Thanks a lot for your comments and interest and I look forward to learning what you may discover about my first item.
Best regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote