View Single Post
Old 27th March 2018, 03:28 PM   #10
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
... The marks on the barrel are those of Luis Santos, and whether they are correct or a bit later forgeries I do not know. Many Were forged with famous Spanish barrel -maker marks applied, and these were difficult to tell apart from the real ones even in the 18th century.
I did have a short thread about the Santos stamps some time ago, and they Do appear correct....
Loking at various examples shown and described in the Catalogue of the Real Armeria, we see consistency in a little detail; the L. for Luis is followed by a minuscle s. Can you check whether the digit after the L in your barrels mark is a dot (as i see it) or a s ? Maybe this could help verify the mark authenticity.

Quote:
... The problem with this is that Luis died in 1721, so if his work, they are Extremely early for a set of double barrels. I Think Keith Neal had seen some from 1723 or so, but these would have to be 1721...
Good reasoning, Richard. Resulting in that your gun, having a French lock, would be consistent with having late XVIII century barrels of French origin, the famous Spanish master marks being a "marketing" operation.

Quoting two paragraphs in this link:
http://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/h...shooting-26590.

"While the flintlock and trigger-to-bang time continually improved, the next major innovation was the addition of a second barrel. The earliest examples of guns with barrels held together by soldering rather than the stock were French side-by-sides of the 1730s."

Quote:
...Then, we have later stocking up apparently in the UK, in the early 19th century, and have an Earl's coronet on the wrist...
And why do think of this as a fact, Richard; the coronet style, or the stock shape ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote