View Single Post
Old 25th November 2017, 03:23 PM   #3
rickystl

Hi Stu.

Congratulations !! That is a really nice pistol for your collection.
Looks to be unmolested, with a nice, even age patina throughout. Looks like about 99% of the wire inlay is still intact. And the coral stones really add to it. Yes, the butt cap looks to be glass. But a really nice touch. Overall, the gun looks entirely locally made. Probably from one of the many gunshops in the Balkans. Most of these pistols are unmarked. I hope someone can make an attempt at translating.
BARREL: You're right, that lettering on the barrel does look similar to Tanchika barrels I've seen. There does seem to be a makers stamp on the barrel. Of course the barrel could have been an import and stamped latter during assembly. Most of these pistols make the use of barrel bands. So it's interesting to see this one using pins to fasten. A possible clue to European barrel origin (?) But you would have to take the barrel off to see if the pin keepers were made at the same time as the barrel, or added later during assembly. I wouldn't bother in this case, as you mention.
LOCK: The lock looks typical, locally made Balkan lock, with a style you see on many of these pistols. I can't make out the lettering, but the bottom line looks like an attempt to spell: WARRENTED (?) The inside of the lock also looks typical Balkan. It looks like the mainspring was replaced at sometime. Note the empty hole where the original mainspring screw once resided. A similar, but not exact, mainspring was fitted and wedged at/under the pan. There is possibly a pin from the mainspring inside the hole that once held a screw. I've seen this fix on many locks. It would have been easier to do this with a spring that was readily available versus making a new, exact fir spring. Also, note the sear spring was replaced with a stiff piece of spring wire versus a flat, original style spring. I've seen this type of fix also. But as long as the lock is working, I wouldn't bother replacing anything.

Again, a very nice pistol Stu. Sure would not mind having it in my collection. Nice find.

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote