View Single Post
Old 28th January 2012, 03:51 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Mark,
I have been observing this most interesting thread, but i confess i fail to figure out what is the nuclear question, that is, i wonder why does it constitute a doubt whether or not cup hilt swords have been present in naval warfare.
Is it because you assume that, at such early period, sword styles were so selective that one or another was not fit to go aboard ?
I understand that, reading the period chronicles, is hard to find an author specifying whether the hero was using this or that sword style, letting his worries contemplate the use of weapons in a generic manner.
I was paging ASIA by João de Barros, narrating the Portuguese discoveries and their consequent encounters and battles, in this case by the 1500's. He often mentions the varied type of weapons used in the context, lances being the most often quoted weapon, as even such term being used to describe the number of men (rank) assigned to a mission ... like sending noble Dom John Doe ashore with 'X' lances to an exploit or a combat.
Then comes the crossbow, a strong resource embarked in military fleets. Halberds and 'montantes' (two hand swords) come next; i didn't read it this time, but i would have learned that such 'sophisticated' weapons were mainly used by trained nobles, namely the two handed sword, as they were in principle the ones that faced the combat front, the infants coming after.
The sword is mentioned in specific moments, like in a personal fight, a captain's challenge or an execution, or a ceremony. But obviously this was the weapon to have at hand, hanging from the waist as an alternative to the polearm or great sword failure or its uneffectiveness in restricted areas.
During the, say, three centuries of navigation, many types of swords were used, the cup hilt surely having its place aboard, as in firm land, in the late part of the period, that would be, from the XVII to the early XIX century (Napoleonic era), at this late stage with smaller bowls (cups) and even made of brass. The diminishing of the cup (bowl) dimensions was in purpose to reduce its discomfort when hanging from the waist/belt, specially when used by footmen. I believe this constraint gave larger space for the use of the terçado (hanger).
But being assured that cup hilt swords were largely used in the colonies, one can not exclude that they were hanging from embarked military forces belts.
Attached we can see a few sword styles that came across those years.
I am sorry if this ‘draught’ is not (even) close to the topic.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote