View Single Post
Old 24th January 2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Mark!
I hope I'll hear from him, but time goes by and you lose touch etc. Last time I talked with him was when he was diving on the 'Monitor' some years ago.

I have been going through everything I can find to see if perhaps maybe a ship name and record of find might have inventory details etc. It is interesting that one reference notes that Spanish galleons were intended for boarding combat with contingents of soldiers aboard and the high castles were ideal for suppressive fire. Other references refer to sailors on Spanish and Portuguese ships used the rapier through 17th into 18th century but that close quarters fighting rendered these ineffective.

These observations seem presumptive, especially that 'sailors' used rapiers aboard these ships, intimating that rank and file seamen would have used these expensive swords. A.V.B. Norman notes that it is unclear just when the 'cuphilt' came into use or its origins, but it seems they were well in use by mid 17th century. The fully developed hilt rapiers were in use of course in the previous century and well established with officers and nobles among the conquistadors. Aboard Spanish ships I would imagine that figures of rank and standing wore swords much as they did elsewhere without regard for special types or selection toward shipboard combat. The combat interaction was the business of ordinary seamen and as mentioned soldiers on board.

I think that probably in the case of soldiers, they would have had heavier bladed arming swords and seamen would have had access to stout, heavy bladed cutlass type hangers as you have noted in key storage on board for use as required. For the most part the utilitarian axes and knives etc. would have served as well.

As we agree, the lack of evidence of weapon types from the remains of the many Spanish wrecks found is due to the relative insignificance of them in comparison to the treasure found. Many of these weapons have not survived as the precious metals and jewels of course are heavy and non corrosive while the materials in weapons are not. Most of the weapon components found are either traces left with thier impressions in heavy concretion , or just pieces which have been sufficiently covered by protective silt or covering prohibiting oxygen contact, at least in my limited understanding of undersea archaeology.

I know what you mean about 'Graveyard of the Atlantic'. I used to find the works of Edward Rowe Snow fascinating! and his tales of all the shipwrecks and nautical lore. I really hope I can get this rig over there one day

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote