View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

A friend of me has bought this book, and has asked me to post the text below.

'I would highly recommend the recently published 'Arms and Armor of Caucasus' by Kirill Rivkin. As you know, new solid academic approaches to our subject are few and far between and we seem to be infested with coffee table publications that simply lift off the same old presumptions we are desperate to steer away from. Rivkin's book approaches his field with a confident hand, and gently lays out the historical and martial side of the Caucasus (first two chapters) which leads to the weapons (chapter three) which dominates the majority of the book. This is not a catalogue, with flowery and meaningless descriptions - this is a true scholarly study of the weapons of the Caucasus and anyone that has an interest in arms from any region in the east will be able to find information here to use in conjunction to their own subject.
The print is good, and there are some impressive unpublished pieces of great importance. All in English but I wish I could read Russian so I can go through the goldmine of references in his bibliography.'
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote