View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2007, 10:46 PM   #16
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Remarkably similar to Hindu black and white, Shiva/Kali concepts. I do have to question what Victor Hugo has to do with modern Wicca. I have read that it stems for rather too rich and discontented late Victorian thrill seekers. I can not remember all the story but Esmeralda was the good person refusing the cardinals advances.
I did not intend to draw references between Hugo and Wicca, I was only referring to the probability that the goat was a fertility symbol and that this symbol has little to do with satanism and is more a pagan concept.

I need to re-read the book, but the little I remember is that Hugo was trying to say that Esmeralda, though a pagan was essentially a better person than the Christian clergy. I may have this mixed up.

This is a very well-made dagger, sheath and hilt. The likelihood was that the maker was really trying to say something. I think that Katana really pointed us in the right direction with his ideas on Esmeralda and probably the Hunchback, but Esmeralda may be older than this. Curious as to where her original symbolism came from.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote