View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Bill M

David (Katana),

I think that the modeling is intentional. In symbolic and heraldic study where and how objects are displayed is significant. Whether a figure looks to his right or left is intentional and has meaning.

The position of the head is unnatural, uncomfortable and disturbing to view.

I hope that David (Nescesh) will again reply as he knows quite a bit about these subjects. But let me add a few things.

The goat in WICCA is a significant fertility symbol. Baphomet as well as Pan is a goat-foot god. That Baphomet ("Old Horny) looks satanic has more to do with a Christian interpretation than it has to do with WICCA. which does not intentionally use Christian symbols.

The goat probably has to do with pagan fertility as Esmeralda was know as a pagan, Gypsy seductress. She also danced and played the tambourine.

If we can attribute this dagger to "The Hunchback...." it could have more to do with Hugo's commentary on the Church, which was certainly an underlying commentary in his work.

I need to do some more study on this and invite input.

Baphomet (This is an image used by Eliphas Levi who was more involved in Ceremonial Magik) the WICCAN symbol is similar, but I can't find a traditional Wiccan version right now. Suffice to say Baphomet was not intended to be a Satanic Christian-derived symbol, but a Pagan fertility god)

Note position of hands and moons.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 2nd December 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote