View Single Post
Old 21st November 2007, 06:26 PM   #6
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Hi David,

Your remarks in the earlier thread were very good IMHO.

Bill
Thanks Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
I Still find it interesting the its the only upside down scabbard Ive seen on these cast bronze knives. {yes Ive heard the arguments! But factualy its still the only one seen so far.} And so its still an upside down church though!
Spiral
Hi Jonathon,
as you know I could not find an 'upside down' scabbard. There is the possibility that this signifies 'Satanism but, I believe it is more likely symbolic to the 'interpretation' of Hugo's story. ( all the examples of Satanic daggers I have seen do not have an 'inverted' decorated scabbard either)
'The hunchback of Notre Dame' , at first seems to be about 'unrequited love' but the story is deeper than that. Many literary critics see this story as an attack on the church (not Christianity or Religion), members of the church (in his eyes) had become corrupt, greedy and lacked compassion for their congregation. He saw that the values of Christianity that were preached were not adhered to by the clergy. (a case of 'talking the talk' but not 'walking the walk')

Esmeralda was not Christian and was considered a heathen. Yet, her character and actions are more Christian than the clergy characters. The inverted 'Notre Dame' scabbard is in 'opposition' to Esmeralda (she is symbolic of good ...the 'church' ....bad) Had the scabbard had Christ or other religious icon.... I think it would be a different story.

However, as a footnote, assuming this dagger is mid 19 th C, it coincides with the popularity of the story....and would probably be widely accepted as 'non satanic' . As time went on and memory fades ...I could see this dagger being adopted as 'satanic'.

Either way its a very good piece.

Kind Regards David

I've just noticed (in one of Bill's photos) that the roof tiles on the spire are right way up...when the spire is upside down
katana is offline   Reply With Quote