View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:45 AM   #28
A. G. Maisey

Yeah, it is a problem, but maybe, for me, it would not be a problem except that I have never heard a name that equates to "Veiled Durga" in Bahasa Indonesia, Javanese, or Balinese.

I'd be happy to accept the carvers' "Wadon" for the Javanese name, it can be logically explained in terms of Javanese understandings of the keris.

But then we have the "Balu Makabun" name that seems to be general in Bali, and that I have been assured by a close friend who happens to be recognised as a respected authority on both the keris and Indonesian art & culture in general, that the current generally accepted name for this hilt style is the BM term.

I think he's right.

I think the Javanese Wadon is correct insofar as Jawa of the last 100 years or so is concerned. Maybe not absolutely correct, but correct in limited terms.

I think the "Veiled Durga" is a complete invention of somebody who was not a part of Indonesian society.

Currently all I have is a folder of notes that is not much more than a collection of ideas, some good ideas, more bad ideas.

From my perspective, a big hurdle in this matter is the varying and often erroneous understanding of the characters that I currently see as major contenders for the character whose face we cannot see.

I don't like pulling opinions out of thin air, so until I can come up with something supportable, I'm just going to let this whole thing go back to sleep again.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote