View Single Post
Old 9th September 2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The Italian assessment on this very attractive little dagger seems quite well placed. In "Armi Bianchi Italiene" (Boccia & Coelho, Milan, 1975) item #791 is strikingly similar with the grip shape and vertically fluted with several lighter colored bands, with similar bolster and blade, though does not have the elaborate artwork at the forte. This is shown as an 18th c. 'pugnale da caccia'. It notes 'Sardegna' as well.
The references indicate Buttin, so I checked the Buttin catalog (Rumilly, 1933) and plate III , #74 is an Italian poignard , 18th century with similar highly decorated forte, grip similar shape and fluted, bolsters similar; the cited example #64 also of similar type, and among a number of these Italian poignards 18th c.

I cant make out the makers mark here in the photos.
I'd like to know more about the double head bird image, which seems strategically important to this piece. As Paul has noted, the double head eagle is associated with Eastern European, Germanic and Russian symbolism and it seems there is some appearance of the other birds in Christian themes, though dont know if they appeared double headed as here. Possibly there may be Byzantine theme suggested, as the double head eagle was used to represent the west and east regions of the Empire.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 9th September 2008 at 07:14 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote