View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Claus, it is always extremely difficult to date and regionalize tulwars as the form itself was widely diffused and used traditionally through many generations. I think it is typically pretty safe to assess this one as mid 19th century, however I think the blade could be earlier.
These type blades, with notably pronounced ricasso and these triple fullers were I believe produced in Rajasthani regions from mid to late 18th century. The now worn stamped markings in the fullers recall similar groupings seen in the fullers of Italian blades often found in 'firangi' baskethilts. Rajputs and Sikhs also carried these 'khanda' baskethilts, while using tulwars as well.

I would suspect this is likely a Rajput weapon and with the military mounts it may have been used in one of the native regiments in the British Raj. The floral center in the chowk seems often seen in tulwars of northwest frontier regions as well as Sind and Baluchistan. The well worn blade suggests this may have seen use into the 20th century.

Very nice example and in its well worn and soundly remounted situation seems likely to have some great history to it.

Nicely done in showing the motif in the pommel dish, an often overlooked element in tulwars. The symbolism in these motifs it has been suggested may have various associations from sunburst to floral, though nothing conclusive has yet been determined overall .
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote