Thread: Rencong
View Single Post
Old 5th March 2024, 07:50 AM   #20
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
Handle sleeves are common with North Sumatran weapons, see for example a co jang from my collection or two of the rencongs I've shown.
So is also the sleeve by the sikin panjang you found on the net rather plain but embossed (I guess) while your rencong has a crown like sleeve in combination with a plain sleeve.
The asymmetrical decor found on status gliwang is a different beast IMHO. BTW, it seems to be a mainly ceremonial luju alang (vs the longer peudeueng panjang).

A proper saruek ulat is worked into a scale-like 3D structure by embossing (on both sides) and its margins bridged by some decor elements. With this rencong, the base of the gold saruek ulat was covered by a flat calyx-like ring of suasa and the other end, too (possibly another calyx or plain ring - too little left nor imprints to verify, it seems). While most likely also originally based on the lotus symbolism, these flat, undecorated rings are a far cry from the full-fledged calyx/crowns in puco or glupa form.

I don't know whether any simple, ferrule-like ring adjacent the blade bolster (as in your rencong) would also be referred to as saruek ulat in the originating cultures (if pressed, I kinda doubt it).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote