Thread: Why Post?
View Single Post
Old 25th June 2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Hi,
This is indeed an interesting and sometime difficult subject. As diverse as the subjects on the Forum so it is with the Members who participate, some may feel comfortable with one kind of approach whilst others do not. The dilemma of being really interested but judging whether to risk putting ones big foot in it while on the other hand not wanting to appear disinterested can be problematic, well, for me at least! Not all members have the same 'drive' or ambitions for their collections and it is important to include the curious as well as the enthusiast. I really feel for members, and it is normally newer ones, who, after putting out their hard earned cash, and it is really hard earned for some these days, on a piece find to their dismay that the 'gold' they have dug up is in actual fact 'mud'. I do think on these occasions that a 'diplomatic' and courteous let down is an absolute positive in getting these newer members to 'post and answer' in future and not to be left intimidated by their confusion or lack of knowledge, we all have lack of knowledge in many other spheres. This 'ignorance' can be the root of an unwillingness to reply to posts but is not to be confused with the 'ignorant', a situation which unfortunately a good member thought himself the subject of recently, re ignore list. I do not know of any members on this Forum who are disposed to be dismissive with regard to others ' buying mistakes' and lack of knowledge, we've all been there, in actual fact I have seen several very tactful let downs and corrections but I have seen the opposite on many other forums, sometimes it is the little green god at work, and it doesn't take too long for a clique to form and ruin it for others. I think proactive tolerance, courtesy and a willingness to illuminate, which I must say is very evident on this Forum and certainly lacking in some others, will go a long way in encouraging the less knowledgeable members, and I include myself in that merry band, joining in discussions. I sincerely hope that no Member will take any of the foregoing personally as this is not my intention it is simply observations I have made when comparing similar forums.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote