Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 27th January 2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Richard

Thanks to all for your welcome!

The swords I posted for no other reason than to show where my interests lie. Re the swords and other questions:

M Eley - I acquired them about 4 years ago. They had been sleeping in an attic in Middlesborough in the UK for the previous 35 years!

Manuel - Maybe you know me from another forum? (where I no longer post)

Jim - you've hit the nail on the head! the swords are a great illustration of the development of the heavy cavalry sword over the last quarter of the 18th century and the first quarter of the 19th century. The centre sword is dated 1782, at which time Hugonin was a Captain in the 4th Dragoons. It is also of course a P1788 heavy cavalry sword (no anomaly there since the pattern was based on existing examples). The left hand sword is a P1796 Heavy Cavalry Officer's sword made by James Woolley in Birmingham c. 1797. At that time, Hugonin was Lt. Col. commanding the 4th. The right hand sword is a non-regulation pattern known as the Celtic Hilt, dating from around 1815. This pattern is particularly associated with the 4th Dragoons. At that time Hugonin had the regimental rank of Colonel and the brevet rank of Lieutenant-General

Richard
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote