View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2007, 01:13 PM   #22
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi David ... Jens ... Jim,

Amazing thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Is it possible that a Portuguese official might have chosen to adopt a native hilt to his rapier blade.

Last night ( over here ) i was rehearsing my english for posting such hypothesis, but i have given it up as not consistent, coming from my layman knowledge .
Obviously it sounds more plausible, coming from Jim. It is indeed a strong possibility. Remember that rapier fencing requires a lot of school.
Talking about rapiers, this is a name that covers quite a lot of diverse sword stuff, just because blades are narrow, or the hilt is worked up. Even being an actual rapier, there are distinct versions of it.
Tell me David, is the blade on your firangi a stiff one ? It must be, with is flattened hexagonal cross section. I would say it is decidedly a thrusting device, not currently within the habits of India peoples. And you don't learn these fencing techniques overnight ... right Jens ?
But then, tell me another thing, David: Is the grip large enough to acomodate an European hand ? You know the usual problem with this subject.
Fernando

Last edited by fernando; 3rd December 2007 at 01:46 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote