View Single Post
Old 27th June 2022, 10:51 PM   #44
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiavonafleck View Post
Jim McDougall, thank you for the nice introductory words. I am also studying possible blacksmiths who worked in Dalmatia/Croatia. On some baskets of schiavonas are visible inscriptions in Croatian Cyrillic used in Dalmatia in that period. "Grgur" and "Sava" were signed, which I am sure are names from the Croatian area. The "M-C" inscription on the baskets also appears, but I'm not sure where it comes from. If I understood correctly it is your schiavona that you attached!? A very beautiful example with historical important blade! I have this one of mine with "GRGUR" inscription.(you can see in the middle photo)
Thank you! Yes, it is indeed my sword which I acquired some years ago. While I simply wanted an example, I had not anticipated the depth of the history associated with this one. While schiavona are not typically thought of in the 'Napoleonic' period, it is known they found service in numerous circumstances outside the Italian regions.

It is interesting that examples as you note have Croatian names etc. but I would have thought these were inscriptions associated with the individuals using them in the service of the Doge. I honestly had not thought of the hilts being fashioned in Croatia, and just as many cutlers assembled swords throughout Styria and other areas it is probably hard to find reliable records of these shops.

Thank you so much for responding and the kind words.

Best regards
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote