View Single Post
Old 19th June 2022, 05:00 PM   #36
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiavonafleck View Post
Hello wewecow!
I am the owner of that schiavone and I know exactly what you are talking about! I’ve had experiences like this when your heart aches because you failed to buy the schiavona you wanted!
I deal exclusively with schiavona swords because they bind me to the history of my people! I am from Croatia where these swords were widely used and probably produced (baskets) from the 16th to the 18th century. (Dalmatia and northern Adriatic)
I am sure that in time there will be a beautiful schiavona that will belong to you! )
This is my collection! )

Wow! That is a MAGNIFICENT collection, and right you are to be focused on these beautiful swords which indeed proudly represent your heritage. It has always been my understanding that these were widely held to have been used by the palace guards in Venice for the Doge, and that these personnel were typically Croatian. The basket hilts evolved from simpler S guard sword hilts from Hungary, where there were diplomatic and cultural connections of long standing. In the 18th century the pandours of Austro-Hungary who were irregular forces comprised of mostly Croatians and Hungarians. Many of the cavalry sabers were Hungarian, but as far as I have known, they did not use schiavona.

This is despite the fact that the schiavona was widely used often by other Italian forces, with other incidental cases elsewhere. It was once thought that the schiavona was the inspiration for the Scottish basket hilt, but this was thoroughly disproven, though they are both wonderfully attractive forms.

I am curious about the production of the hilts in Croatia.

It seems the lineage and evolution of the hilt form ,especially some of the components have their own evolutionary line. The familiar 'cats head' pommel seems to have existed with Slavonic soldiers in the 14thc. By into the 15th c. in Hungary there were rectangular pommels with notable boss at center. The recurved crossguard and evolving other bars (including the leaf shapes over ricasso) were evolving in S. Germany (which often it seems were close to developments in N. Italy).
It would seem these early forms of 'schiavona' style hilts were evolving by 16th into early 17th c. referencing S. German styles of course becoming more widely used.

The term 'schiavona' is often referred to a painting of 1510-1512 (by Titian) called "the Woman from Dalmatia" (Croatian or Slavonic, which is more linguistically applied), and which might explain the application of the term to the sword. This was because of its primary association with the Croatian guards of the Doges place in Venice. As always, colloquial terms for things cover a wide, often tenuous berth.

Years ago, I too wanted just a good example of a schiavona, my opportunity came when through a good deal of horse trading, I got the example attached here. Its asymmetrical feel in the hilt was intriguing, and has a cavalry style backsword blade as popular in mid to late 18th c. The blade is inscribed VIVA Ferdinand IV of the Two Sicilies who was deposed by the Sicilian constitution of 1812. He was reinstated as king of the Two Sicilies (Sicily and Naples) in 1816, and the kingdom prevailed until Italian unification in 1861.

I feel this is likely an example used by loyalists in the post 1812 period.

I think one of the most exciting examples to find would be with the CX marking (Council of Ten of Venice).
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th June 2022 at 05:37 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote