View Single Post
Old 14th April 2010, 09:59 PM   #43
Dimasalang

Quick vent:
Balisongs in the Philippines are too commercialized now. They always have been, but I think it has taken a turn for the worst the past 5-10 years. They are churning out balis left and right, and the quality has seriously gone down and suffered. Even if you find one that is perfectly made, drilled correctly, and proportioned, it is just the pick of the litter of commercialized pieces. And now they are incorporating cheap plastic inserts and aluminum. As I mentioned earlier, I own several that I hand picked myself from Brgy Balisong in Taal. I remember seeing just boxes and boxes of Balis to be shipped out across the Philippines just made for the market. When I say boxes, I literally mean a box filled to the rim with Balis that are not in packaging. Sigh...what ever happened to taking pride in your work. I also have a Bali that I got from my friend who told me his father used to carry(made in the 60s or 70s). The workmanship surpasses all the recently made balis I own. Im curious to know what happened to all those Batangas smiths who put out those high quality bolos back during the revolutionary era. My roots stem from Batangas and I have traveled up and down that province. And I did not see any bolo that would compare to the quality and detail of the bolos from 100 years ago.

My uncle owns a barber shop here in the states and the wait is 2 hours average just to get a cut by him. There are two other barbers in the shop and their is no wait for them. My uncle always told me, the faster you cut, the quality goes down, along with your clientele...nobodys gonna want to come back. People always want quality, and if they want the best they will pay and wait. Thats how you stay in business.

Batangas still puts out higher quality blades then most other known blade towns and provinces in Luzon. But I can see the quality and trade slipping away. I'd hate to see that Batangas blade reputation go down the drain.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote