View Single Post
Old 4th June 2006, 03:37 PM   #36
BluErf

Default Singapura, oh Singapura. Sunny island, set in the sea...

Let me post one for my country.

I am a citizen of the Lion City, so named because a Srivijayan prince, Sang Nila Utama, thought he saw a lion when he landed on the island, or so the legend went.

These days, we are often referred to as the "little red dot" because we are so small that we don't appear on the map, and has to be marked by a red dot.

Our national mascot is the Merlion, a half lion, half fish mythical beast. Interestingly, this beast was a modern invention and had no roots in history. Our national flower is an orchid, called "Vanda Miss Joaquim".

The island was called Temasek a long time ago. It was once part of the territory of the Johore empire, the Riau-Lingga Sultanate, and probably Majapahit and Sri Vijaya, amongst others. Then, came the British in the 19th century, followed by the Japanese (rather unpleasent 3yrs 8mths during WWII), then the British came back again, and left, again, and after a brief merger with Malaysia, we became an independent sovereign nation on 9 Aug 1965.

Our current prime minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong, is the son of the great Mr Lee Kuan Yew (I think he deserves to be called great for turning Singapore from a 3rd-world country to a developed nation, in the face of great adversity).

We are a well-integrated multi-racial society with the main ethnic groups being Chinese, Malay, Indian and Eurasian.

If you have been to Singapore, you would probably have heard about "Singlish", and words/phrases like "kiasu", "shiok", "don't play play".

The people here are so pre-occupied with food that everywhere you go, you see... restaurants! From Thai to Vietnamese, Indonesian to Nepalese, African to American, French to German, Italian to Spanish, Korean to Japanese, and of course, Chinese, Malay, Indian.

Our national anthem is in Malay: "Majulah Singapura!" - Onward Singapore!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote