View Single Post
Old 29th October 2019, 12:36 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It seems when I first got one of the Afghan military sabers, of the form described in discussions here, and in Dima's excellent book, it was in the late 90s. These swords were little known then and I was told it was a 'bring back' from Afghanistan from 70s during covert operations there.

It was then said that the mark on the blade (as seen here with the Mashin Khana marks) was from the 'arsenal' at Mazir-i-Sharif. It was not until years later that I found the Mashin Khana detail, and it seems in my earlier research it had been said it was Kabul only. While the marking depicted the Blue Mosque at Mazir I Sharif, it seems it was indicated to me there was no arsenal there.
This made sense to me as Kabul of course was the government center of Afghanistan, while Mazir I Sharif was a most important religious center.

Thank you Ibrahiim for the excellent excerpt from the material on the Mashin Khana, which is if course included in Dima's excellent book. It does make sense that weaponry would be repaired in further locations such as Mazir I Sharif, but I am curious on the use of a stamp, which must have been 'cold' stamped. In this case it is incomplete of course, so wonder if perhaps a 'just cannon' stamp may have been used, or the rest so shallow it was worn away.

Dima, the styling of the hilt resembles shamshirs I have seen many years ago , and with such motif in the center of the guard, which were described to me as Afghan.

It is curious to see a shamshir with this mark, but makes perfect sense as it seems weaponry for Afghan forces or officials was varied.
Fascinating example of the rugged type weapons from these regions, and its being a shamshir all the more intriguing.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote