View Single Post
Old 30th November 2013, 11:16 PM   #16
Raf

Thanks to all. I had done a bit of background reading around the subject, but apparently not enough. What set me of was the observation that all researchers and experimenters trying to re create wootz start with molten iron which is carbonized either by adding charcoal or co fusion with cast iron. Which looks sensible since wootz is crucible steel. Until, that is you read Sir Richard Burtons first hand description of the process. (The book of the sword 1886) Which describes iron, which is first, converted into steel by the cementation process and only subsequently melted to form crucible steel. Subtle difference. Was this an important part of the process that nobody seemed to be looking at? I ran this idea past a contemporary maker of wootz and after a lengthy exchange the conclusion was it was a rubbish idea. It wouldn’t make any difference so it’s back to the science. I had no idea that wootz was such a complicated and emotional issue.

However, before leaving the subject does anybody have an opinion on the probable constitution of this barrel? Its currently loosely attached, in the way they usually are, to a Tibetan matchlock but may well be Persian. We know it’s twist welded but how would you describe the banding? Is it patterning welded, wootz or what?
Attached Images

Last edited by Raf; 1st December 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote