View Single Post
Old 26th July 2017, 06:26 PM   #1
kai

Smile A northern Malay pedang - Pattani?

This blade type seems widely distributed among coastal Malay cultures; even Batak examples are known (possibly refitted blades introduced by trade or as gift from neighbouring rulers): A relatively long, broad, and flexible blade with somewhat obtuse tip and a sharpened back edge (often about half of the length); usually with nicely pattern-welded pamor that looks indigenous to me. Some blades are more slender, fully edged, and/or come with fuller(s). Malay Chenangkas also often seem to come with similar blades.

This example has a well-controlled pamor mlumah with subtle/calm patterning and on top of this a pattern-welded "…XIIIXIIIX…” motif: This motif is commonly seen engraved or inlaid at the back of blades; here it is done in a similar way at the side of the blade as part of the forging work. Need to bring it out with a fresh etch, I guess.

This type of pommel with a rather obvious head and its distinct features is a variant of the ubiquitous Makara form and originates from the northern Malay culture, probably Pattani and neighbouring sultanates. Horn with old remnants of Melayu dragonblood paint visible inside the mouth; silver fittings and an old tassel. A closely related pommel type is known from Pattani nobility badek (cp. Spirit of Wood, p. 152).

Also note the heavy bolster (thickness 12.6 mm = 1/2”) in front of the guard!

Regards,
Kai
(Pictures courtesy of our forumite kino since I have yet to receive this piece obtained early this year - thanks heaps for your help, Albert!)
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote