View Single Post
Old 31st January 2014, 07:50 AM   #240
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

1. When did the distinct multi quillon system arrive in Sinhala? It seems apparent on European swords from 16th century.
2. Earliest date of manufacture?

Hello Jim, Your post is very interesting and poses a series of questions so if I may isolate a few at a time please; inked in red and numbered above if I may? What is also amazing is your reference to the fullers which look very similar to the Piha Kheata (and also to the Chinese pole arm blade...) Well spotted!!

The quillons appear to mimic the Vajra claw form seen on religious axes from the region. I am not sure if they were meant to act as quillons but rather as a decorative and religious design feature.The job of quillons ...to trap a sliding blade and twist from the opponents hand is not a feature on these weapons. The beautiful lavish design however feeds the notion that the court or dress sword function is more apparent and of course compliant in the religious affiliation with the Vajra.

The finials end with a creature or minor deity some of which exude cloud patterns and the same heads appear all over the hilt. The rainguard also appears decorative though is practical in securing the weapon in the scabbard. This Vee shaped structure mimics a sort of tail and is often decorated in fans perhaps indicating the tail of a peacock?

In reply to the second question..If the Portuguese Sri Lankan joint design or construction in Royal Workshops is true then the early manufacture must have been not before their arrival...Lourenço de Almeida arrived in 1505.

Please view the Quillons below and for interest I add a strange pipe from the region...showing a gargoyle like monster ...

It may be noted that the Vajra is often associated with the Makara and Quillon like devices with exuding other Deities occuring in the general theme; similar to the overall concept of the Kastane hilt.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 31st January 2014 at 09:50 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote